Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fire Safety Week

This past week it was Fire Safety week. The Aitkin Fire Department stopped by and discussed Fire Safety with the students on Tuesday and Tuesday night was the Annual Aitkin Fire Department Open House
I tied the Fire Safety unit into our writer's journals by writing the following on the board for the student's to write about:
Why are firefighters important? Create 3 sentences explaining why?
I then created a poster for all the students to sign, and once students got done they were able to help create an acrostic poem (which I knew I would be teaching later that week). It worked really well as an anticipatory set. I had two of the best behaved students go up to the class and hand the two volunteer fire fighters the poster (great intrinsic motivation)
Here are some pictures of the Poster before the students finished it:

No comments:

Post a Comment